When we entered adulthood, we thought that we’d leave acne behind along with ugly hairdo’s, bad taste in men and questionable fashion choices. But for some of us, acne has tagged along into adult life like a persistent suitor that doesn’t get the hint. It’s annoying to say the least, and it can be especially frustrating when you don’t know what’s causing it!
So, what causes adult acne?
• Hormonal fluctuations – period, pregnancy, menopause and the pill
• An increase of androgens like testosterone
• Overproduction of sebum can cause oily skin, clogged pores and acne
• Stress and lifestyle factors can worsen acne
What is the difference between adult and teenage acne?
• Adult acne is often caused by the body’s inability to get rid of excess hormones. It tends to be harder to treat and more prone to cystic acne. It often pops up in the chin and neck area.
• Teen acne is often caused by a surge in hormones during puberty, that create an overproduction of oil. Teens often have predominantly blackheads and whiteheads.
What are the different kinds of acne?
• Whitehead – Whiteheads are created when a clump of keratin and sebum gets stuck in a pore and creates a little bump under the skin.
• Blackhead – Blackheads are those little black dots that can often be seen on or around the nose. They are the same as whiteheads, except that the pore is open, so the content is exposed to air, oxidises and becomes black.
• Inflamed blemishes – created when clogged pores get inflamed and start inflaming the area around it. They present either as painful red bumps under the skin, or large with visible pus.
What can we do?
First of all, make sure that you are using the right skin care for your skin. Every skin type is different, and even dry skin types can experience excess oil and breakouts.
• Do not over-cleanse as this may cause the skin to produce even more oil.
• Occasionally exfoliate your skin - this can help prevent clogged pores
• Look for ingredients that have soothing properties – like Cica.
Make acne take a hint!
If you’re letting oily skin and acne stop you from enjoying life – it’s time to take control! The NovAge Clarifying System that treats three factors affecting acne development – from excess oil to full-blown inflamed breakouts.
Try the products:
• NovAge Oil Balance Solution – reduces excess oil and minimises the appearance of pores
• NovAge Breakout-Defence Emulsion – Prevents and reduces clogged pores, blemishes and acne scars. Contains powerful soothing ingredient Cica.
• NovAge 24-Hour Blemish Correction – Spot treatment that reduces blemish size within 24 hours.